We are currently seeking a Senior Structural Engineer/Project Manager to join our growing team, based in our Charleston, SC office. In this role, you will be responsible for the successful delivery of large building projects, including managing and mentoring the team of engineers on the project, developing concepts and budgets, and producing the design.
Projects (approximately 85% of Senior Structural Engineer’s time)
- Lead a team of structural engineering staff as part of the aforementioned project roles; assign, monitor, and review work of structural engineering staff on associated projects.
- Ensure the completeness, correctness, and accuracy of own work, and of supporting engineering staff on associated projects.
- Lead and perform design coordination with other disciplines using industry-standard BIM software for associated projects or portions of projects.
- Deliver quality projects on time and within budget. Perform internal structural peer reviews of other engineer’s projects.
- Attend meetings with clients and promote positive client contact with current or prospective clients.
- Participate as a team member, contributing ideas and possible solutions, and leading on issues where appropriate.
- Perform site visit surveys to determine engineering strategies for renovation, and to document and evaluate existing structural systems.
- Visit project sites during construction for reviews of quality, progress, and compliance with specifications and standards.
Project Management and Technical Improvement (approximately 10% of Senior Structural Engineer’s time)
- Develop and update project manpower estimates and monitor project time and budget as projects progress.
- Establish and agree on project schedules and standards for delivery.
- Keep abreast of industry and technology changes and trends and recommend updates to approach and services as appropriate.
- Improve the analysis and design processes used by the engineering team through exploration and application of new tools.
- Foster a commitment to external and internal client service.
Business Development (approximately 5% of Senior Structural Engineer’s time)
- Support business development and marketing through preparation of write-ups of key aspects of projects and presentation of work at industry events.
- Prepare structural engineering fee estimates and assumptions for potential projects.
- Work with architects to develop concepts for project competitions and to produce submission documents.
- Ability to collaborate with multiple offices across the BPA organization
- Must be able to communicate clearly both verbally and in written form, with an understanding of industry communication protocols
- Must be able to inspire owners and designers
- Set, monitor and deliver to budgets
- Project team leadership skills
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to teach and mentor others
- High sense of urgency required
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Able to work creatively to reach solutions to complex problems
- Proficient with Revit and AutoCAD.
- Proficiency with analysis programs - SAP, ETABS, SAFE, GSA, or similar
- Engineering of steel and concrete superstructures, including long span or high rise
- CLT/Mass Timber experience a big plus
- Proficient in detailing
- Bachelor of Science in engineering degree, Master’s degree preferred
- PE License, SE preferred where applicable
- 10+ years project engineering experience, from design development to opening, with at least one completed high-profile project
- Work with integrated multi-discipline teams
- Design of architecturally significant buildings preferred
- Work with a variety of project types in Multi-Family, Commercial, Corporate, Civic, Education, Sports, and Healthcare sectors preferred
- Completion of complex and advanced structural analyses using industry-standard software