We are currently seeking a Senior Structural Engineer to join our growing team, based in our Norfolk, VA office. As a Senior Structural Engineer, you will be responsible for the successful delivery of a range of building projects, including managing and mentoring the team of engineers on the project, developing concepts and budgets, and producing the design.
Projects (approximately 85% of Senior Structural Project Engineer’s time)
- Lead a team of structural engineering staff as part of the aforementioned project roles; assign, monitor and review work of structural engineering staff on associated projects.
- Ensure the completeness, correctness, and accuracy of work, and of supporting engineering staff on associated projects.
- Lead and perform design coordination with other disciplines using industry-standard BIM software for associated projects or portions of projects.
- Deliver quality projects on time and within budget. Perform internal structural peer reviews of other engineer’s projects.
- Attend meetings with clients and promote positive client contact with current or prospective clients.
- Participate as a team member, contributing ideas and possible solutions, and leading on issues where appropriate.
- Perform site visit surveys to determine engineering strategies for renovation, and to document and evaluate existing structural systems.
- Visit project sites during construction for reviews of quality, progress, and compliance with specifications and standards.
Project Management and Technical Improvement (approximately 10% of Senior Structural Project Engineer’s time)
- Develop and update project manpower estimates and monitor project time and budget as projects progress.
- Establish and agree on project schedules and standards for delivery.
- Keep abreast of industry and technology changes and trends and recommend updates to approach and services as appropriate.
- Improve the analysis and design processes used by the engineering team through the exploration and application of new tools.
- Foster a commitment to external and internal client service.
Business Development (approximately 5% of Senior Structural Project Engineer’s time)
- Support business development and marketing through preparation of write-ups of key aspects of projects and presentation of work at industry events.
- Prepare structural engineering fee estimates and assumptions for potential projects.
- Work with architects to develop concepts for project competitions and to produce submission documents.
- Ability to collaborate with multiple offices across the BPA organization
- Communicate clearly both verbally and in written form, with an understanding of industry communication protocols
- Ability to inspire owners and designers
- Set, monitor and deliver to budgets
- Project team leadership skills
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to teach and mentor others
- Able to work creatively to reach solutions to complex problems
- Knowledgeable in Revit and AutoCAD.
- Proficiency with analysis programs - SAP, ETABS, RAM, Enercalc, or similar
- Engineering of steel and concrete superstructures, including long span and/or high rise
- CLT/Mass Timber experience a big plus
- Aluminum design experience a plus
- Steel connection design experience a plus
- Bachelor of Science in engineering degree, Master’s degree preferred
- PE License, SE preferred where applicable
- 10+ years of project engineering experience, from design development to opening, with at least one completed high-profile project
- Work with integrated multi-discipline teams
- Design of architecturally significant buildings preferred
- Work with a variety of project types in Commercial, Corporate, Civic, Education, Sports and Healthcare sectors preferred
- Completion of complex and advanced structural analyses using industry-standard software
Interested in joining our team? Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com