9.3 Acres, 197 units
Newry Mill was built in 1893 and had a long history of textile production that ended in the 1980s. Since then, the mill has been abandoned and fallen into disrepair. The MPeters Group has taken on the challenge of renovating the mill, adding a new apartment building, renovating the local post office and adding a general store to help meet the needs of the community. The redevelopment includes the restoration of the historic (c. 1894) 4-story Courtenay Mill into 79, one- & two-bedroom apartments/lofts, including a host of amenities; restoration of the c. 1895 two-story company store into an updated USPS, grocery store, café & event venue; and a new, 4-story wood-framed structure over a concrete podium parking garage with 118 one- & two-bedroom apartments. The surrounding landscape will be enhanced with nature trails, a pedestrian bridge, and public green space. This project had environmental challenges, contaminated soils and adjoining the Little River, that need to be accommodated in the design process.